The 10 Longest Rivers in the World
About 2/3 of the earth’s surface is covered with water. But not only seas and lakes play a major role. Rivers also occupy a large area of the earth. Find out here which are the longest rivers in the world and what distinguishes them.
Place 10: The Amur
The Amur, derived from the Evenk word “Tamur”, which means “Great River”, flows through China and Russia and, with a length of 2,824 kilometers, takes tenth place in the ranking of the largest rivers. This river is navigable along its entire length and travelers can admire the inspiring nature around the coastal mountains of Sichote-Alin. Wild animals such as the Siberian tiger or brown bear can be admired there.
9th place: The Yenisei
This river, more than 3,487 kilometers long, flows its entire length through Siberia and, with its tributary, the great Yenisei, even forms a total length of around 4,092 kilometers.
8th place: The Ob
Positioning number 8 in the ranking for the longest rivers in the world also flows through Siberia, albeit only through Western Siberia. The Ob, which reaches a length of 3,650 kilometers, finds its name origin in the Mansi and Chantic language and is derived from the term “Ac”, which is synonymous with the term “big water”. The peculiarity of this river is that it is covered with ice in its middle lower reaches about 220 days a year.
7th place: the Mississippi
Not only known from many films and songs, the Mississippi reaches a total length of 3,778 kilometers and is one of the top ten longest rivers in the world. The river that flows through the United States has its origin in Lake Itasca in northern Minnesota.
6th place: the Congo
The Congo is not only a name for a city-state in Africa but also the name of one of the longest rivers in the world. With a length of 4,347 kilometers, the Congo is probably the sixth largest river in the world and at the same time the second largest river in Africa.
5th place: the Mekong
The 4,350 kilometer long Mekong River, which means “turbulent river”, crosses six countries in Southeast Asia along its length. The origin of the Mekong is unclear, it is assumed that it originates in areas of the highlands of Tibet that are difficult to reach.
4th place: The Yellow River
The Yellow River, also called Wade-Giles, is a stream in China and reaches a total length of an incredible 4,845 kilometers. Only the Yangtze can slide it into second place of the longest rivers in China.
Place 3: The Jangtsekiang
With a length of 6,380 kilometers, the Yangtze is the longest river in the People’s Republic of China and also the longest river in Asia.
2nd place: The Amazon
Its total length of 6,448 kilometers makes the Amazon the second largest river in the world. With a water flow of 206,000 m³ / s, the Amazon is one of the richest rivers in the world and extends its water into seven smaller tributaries.
1st place: The Nile
Egypt is not only known for its high-quality tradition and majestic buildings such as the pyramids and the Sphinx. Here, in otherwise barren Egypt, is the longest river in the world. With a length of 6,852 kilometers, the Nile leads the ranking of the top ten longest rivers and is the only river on earth to cross one of the two subtropical dry belts, the Sahara.
- 7 Japanese Foods You Need to Taste
- 7 Stunning Beaches in Asia
- Austria Travel Guide
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Tour Plan
- Cambodia Highlights Jungle Elephants
- Canada Geography
- Chile Tour Plan
- Emigration to Egypt
- Estonia Culture
- Estonia Geography
- Finland Since 2000
- Greenland Travel Guide
- Hungary History Peoples Democracy and Communist Rule 1945 1989
- India Tour Plan
- Japan Hotels
- Kyrgyzstan Tour Plan
- Lithuania National Parks
- Mongolia Tour Plan
- New Zealand Tour Plan
- Peru Unknown North
- Portugal Tour Plan
- Russia Tour Plan
- Rwanda Uganda Congo Christmas Adventure Tour 2021
- Sao Tome and Principe a Natural Paradise
- South Africa Tour Plan
- Summer Vacation Trips in South Asia
- Thailand Tour Plan
- Uzbekistan Tour Plan
- Vietnamese New Year
- Zambia Houseboat Safari On The Zambezi
- Bridges in Indiana December 12, 2022 - John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge John F. KennedyMemorial Bridge Spans Ohio River Lanes 4+3 Total length 761 meters Main span 2 x 213 meters Bridge deck height ? meter Opening… Read more
- Minsk, Belarus December 5, 2022 - The history of Minsk reflects the history of Belarus like a mirror. First mentioned in The Tale of Bygone Years in 1067, despite the difficult fate, it has retained the… Read more
- Hamat Gader, Israel November 28, 2022 - Hamat Gader ("hot springs of Gadara") is a popular medical resort in the Yarmuk River valley near Lake Tiberias, at the junction of the borders of Israel, Jordan and Syria.… Read more
- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan November 21, 2022 - “Stirrer for whipping koumiss” – this is how the name of the city of Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan, its modern and historical center, is translated. The Green City is… Read more
- Western Sahara November 20, 2022 - Western Sahara ( Arabic : الصحراء الغربية, es-Sahrâu'l-Garbiyye, Spanish : Sahara Occidental, Berber : Taneẓroft Tutrimt ) is located in the northwest of the African continent and claimed by Morocco… Read more
- Sights of Lapland, Finland November 14, 2022 - According to Anycountyprivateschools.com, Lapland is the northernmost province of Finland. Due to its location north of the Arctic Circle, temperatures can drop well below freezing. Good equipment during the winter… Read more
- Sights of Strasbourg, France November 7, 2022 - According to Andyeducation.com, the French city of Strasbourg has a special history and an important one in contemporary Europe. If you look at the history of Strasbourg, you will see… Read more
- Best time to visit Dresden, Germany September 27, 2022 - Do you want to know when is the best time to travel to Dresden? You can determine the best time to travel to a destination based on the weather and… Read more
- Travel to Morocco August 15, 2022 - Morocco (Maghrib) is a state in northwestern Africa. The capital is Rabat. Currency - Moroccan dirham. The official language is Arabic, Berber. Religion - Islam. Common borders in the east… Read more
- Oman Geography August 8, 2022 - Oman is a state in Southwest Asia, in the southeast of the Arabian Peninsula. Shared borders with Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The capital is Muscat. Currency… Read more