The 10 Longest Rivers in the World
About 2/3 of the earth’s surface is covered with water. But not only seas and lakes play a major role. Rivers also occupy a large area of the earth. Find out here which are the longest rivers in the world and what distinguishes them.
Place 10: The Amur
The Amur, derived from the Evenk word “Tamur”, which means “Great River”, flows through China and Russia and, with a length of 2,824 kilometers, takes tenth place in the ranking of the largest rivers. This river is navigable along its entire length and travelers can admire the inspiring nature around the coastal mountains of Sichote-Alin. Wild animals such as the Siberian tiger or brown bear can be admired there.
9th place: The Yenisei
This river, more than 3,487 kilometers long, flows its entire length through Siberia and, with its tributary, the great Yenisei, even forms a total length of around 4,092 kilometers.
8th place: The Ob
Positioning number 8 in the ranking for the longest rivers in the world also flows through Siberia, albeit only through Western Siberia. The Ob, which reaches a length of 3,650 kilometers, finds its name origin in the Mansi and Chantic language and is derived from the term “Ac”, which is synonymous with the term “big water”. The peculiarity of this river is that it is covered with ice in its middle lower reaches about 220 days a year.
7th place: the Mississippi
Not only known from many films and songs, the Mississippi reaches a total length of 3,778 kilometers and is one of the top ten longest rivers in the world. The river that flows through the United States has its origin in Lake Itasca in northern Minnesota.
6th place: the Congo
The Congo is not only a name for a city-state in Africa but also the name of one of the longest rivers in the world. With a length of 4,347 kilometers, the Congo is probably the sixth largest river in the world and at the same time the second largest river in Africa.
5th place: the Mekong
The 4,350 kilometer long Mekong River, which means “turbulent river”, crosses six countries in Southeast Asia along its length. The origin of the Mekong is unclear, it is assumed that it originates in areas of the highlands of Tibet that are difficult to reach.
4th place: The Yellow River
The Yellow River, also called Wade-Giles, is a stream in China and reaches a total length of an incredible 4,845 kilometers. Only the Yangtze can slide it into second place of the longest rivers in China.
Place 3: The Jangtsekiang
With a length of 6,380 kilometers, the Yangtze is the longest river in the People’s Republic of China and also the longest river in Asia.
2nd place: The Amazon
Its total length of 6,448 kilometers makes the Amazon the second largest river in the world. With a water flow of 206,000 m³ / s, the Amazon is one of the richest rivers in the world and extends its water into seven smaller tributaries.
1st place: The Nile
Egypt is not only known for its high-quality tradition and majestic buildings such as the pyramids and the Sphinx. Here, in otherwise barren Egypt, is the longest river in the world. With a length of 6,852 kilometers, the Nile leads the ranking of the top ten longest rivers and is the only river on earth to cross one of the two subtropical dry belts, the Sahara.
- 7 Japanese Foods You Need to Taste
- 7 Stunning Beaches in Asia
- Austria Travel Guide
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Tour Plan
- Cambodia Highlights Jungle Elephants
- Canada Geography
- Chile Tour Plan
- Emigration to Egypt
- Estonia Culture
- Estonia Geography
- Finland Since 2000
- Greenland Travel Guide
- Hungary History Peoples Democracy and Communist Rule 1945 1989
- India Tour Plan
- Japan Hotels
- Kyrgyzstan Tour Plan
- Lithuania National Parks
- Mongolia Tour Plan
- New Zealand Tour Plan
- Peru Unknown North
- Portugal Tour Plan
- Russia Tour Plan
- Rwanda Uganda Congo Christmas Adventure Tour 2021
- Sao Tome and Principe a Natural Paradise
- South Africa Tour Plan
- Summer Vacation Trips in South Asia
- Thailand Tour Plan
- Uzbekistan Tour Plan
- Vietnamese New Year
- Zambia Houseboat Safari On The Zambezi
- Chesapeake, Virginia May 7, 2023 - According to Jibin123, Chesapeake, Virginia is a city located in the southeastern region of the state. It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the east, with its western border… Read more
- Alvarado, Texas April 30, 2023 - According to iamaccepted, Alvarado, Texas is a small town located in Johnson County in the Dallas- Fort Worth metropolitan area. The town was founded in 1877 and has a population… Read more
- Basye, Virginia April 23, 2023 - According to existingcountries, Basye, Virginia is located in the Shenandoah Valley region of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is part of Rockingham County, Virginia and is situated along Back Creek.… Read more
- Castle Dale, Utah April 16, 2023 - According to ehuacom, Castle Dale, Utah is located in the heart of Emery County and is situated between the Wasatch Plateau to the east and the San Rafael Swell to… Read more
- Benson, Vermont April 9, 2023 - According to anycountyprivateschools, Benson, Vermont is located in Rutland County and is part of the Green Mountain State. The town is situated on the eastern side of the state near… Read more
- Bountiful, Utah April 2, 2023 - According to andyeducation, Bountiful, Utah is an affluent suburb located in the northernmost region of the Salt Lake Valley. It is situated on the Wasatch Front, a region that extends… Read more
- Aledo, Texas March 26, 2023 - According to act-test-centers, Aledo, Texas is a small city located in the western part of the state. It is situated in Parker County, which is south of Fort Worth and… Read more
- Antrim, New Hampshire February 27, 2023 - Antrim, New Hampshire is a small town located in the southwestern corner of the state. It has a population of just over 2,000 people and is situated in the beautiful… Read more
- Airway Heights, Washington February 20, 2023 - According to ezinesports, Airway Heights is a city located in Spokane County, Washington. It is located just west of Spokane, the county seat. The city was named after the nearby… Read more
- Things to Do in Bruges, Belgium February 13, 2023 - Entertainment and attractions The entire historical center of Bruges is essentially one big attraction. Most of the ancient buildings and structures are recognized as objects of historical and cultural heritage… Read more